Yashwant Sinha Biography – Politician, Birth, Age, Family, Net Worth, Political Career
- 1 Yashwant Sinha Biography – Politician, Birth, Age, Family, Net Worth, Political Career
Yashwant Sinha is an Indian politician and former senior leader of Bharatiya Janata Party and leader of Trinamool Congress. He was born in Patna, Bihar on Nov 6; 1937 . Apart from being the former Finance Minister of India, he has also been the Foreign Minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet. The opposition has made him for its presidential candidate for the presidential election is held in 2022. Another contender for the post of President is Draupadi Murmu, a former governor of Jharkhand and a tribal leader.
He resigned from the post of BJP’s vice-president stating that he was dissatisfied with the action taken by the party after the defeat in the 2009 general elections. Yashwant Sinha takes interest in reading, gardening and meeting people and other fields. He has traveled widely around the world and has led many political and social delegations. He played an important role in many talks and exchanges on behalf of the country.
Quick Info of Yashwant Singh
- Name – Yashwant Sinha
- Born – 6 November 1937
- Birth Place – Patna, British India (present-day Bihar), India
- Home Town – Patna, Bihar, India
- Age – 84 Years
- Profession – Public and Political Officer
- Political Party – Bharatiya Janata Party (Former) Trinamool Congress (Present)
- Height – 5 feet, 8 inches
- Weight – 75 KG
- College – Patna University
- Educational Qualification – M.A in Political Science
- Yashwant Sinha IAS – 1960-1984 (Bihar Cadre)
- Hobby – Gardening, Reading, Writing, Traveling
- Religion – Hindu
- Caste – Kayastha
- Nationality – Indian
- Marital Status – Married
Family of Yashwant singh
- Father – Vipin Bihari Sharan
- Mother – Dhanna Devi
- Wife – Neelima Sinha (Author)
- Son – Jayant Sinha (Politician), Sumant Sinha (Businessman)
- Daughter – Sharmila (Writer)
Educcation of Yashawant sinha
Yashwant Sinha was born and educated in a Chitraguptvanshi Kayastha family of Patna, Bihar. He got his early education from Patna. Received his M.A (postgraduate) degree in Political Science in 1958. After this he taught the same subject at Patna University till 1960.
Net worth of Yashwant Sinha
Yashwant Sinha’s earnings are around 1-5 million dollars and his net worth was 3 crores in 2014. In 2022, his net worth is more than 3 crores.
Career of Yashwant Sinha
- Yashwant Sinha joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1960 and served in several important positions during his tenure for more than 24 years. For 4 years he served as Sub-Divisional Magistrate and District Magistrate. After being a Deputy and Under Secretary in the Ministry of Finance, Government of Bihar for 2 years, he worked as a Deputy Secretary in the Ministry of Commerce, GOI.
- He served as First Secretary (Commercial) from 1971 to 1973 at the Indian Embassy in (Bonn) Germany. He then served as the Consul General of India in Frankfurt from 1973 to 1974. After working for about 7 years in this field, he gained experience in the field of foreign trade and India’s relations with the European Economic Community.
- He also worked in the Department of Industrial Infrastructure, Government of Bihar and Ministry of Industry, GOI. Where he was responsible for matters of foreign industrial cooperation, import of technology, intellectual property rights and industrial acceptance. As Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Land Transport, Government of India from 1980 to 1984, his main duties included Road Transport, Ports and Shipping.
Political Career of Yashwant Sinha
- Yashwant Sinha resigned from the Indian Administrative Service in 1984 and joined politics as a member of the Janata Party. In 1986, he was appointed the All India General Secretary of the party and in 1988 he was elected a member of the Rajya Sabha. After the formation of the Janata Dal in 1989, he was appointed as the National General Secretary of the party.
- He served as Finance Minister from November 1990 to June 1991 in the cabinet of Chandra Shekhar. In 1996, he became the national spokesperson of the BJP. In 1998, he was appointed as the Finance Minister. From that day until the formation of the new government after the parliamentary elections on 22 May 2004, he was the Foreign Minister.
Yashwant Sinha as a Finance Minister
- Sinha was the Finance Minister till 1 July 2002, after which his post was swapped with that of External Affairs Minister Jaswant Singh. During his tenure, Sinha was forced to roll back some of his government’s major policy initiatives. For which he was also criticized a lot. He has presented the budget 7 times during the tenure of his Finance Minister.
- Yet Sinha is widely credited with pioneering several major reforms. As a result of which the Indian economy has progressed strongly on the path of development. These reforms include “tax exemptions on loan payments, reducing real interest rates, helping to fund the National Highways Authority and deregulation of the petroleum industry, deregulation of the telecom sector”.
- Sinha is also known as the first finance minister to break the 53-year-old tradition of presenting the Indian budget at 5 pm local time. This practice was going on from the time of British Raj. In which an attempt was made to present the Indian budget according to the convenience of the British Parliament instead of the convenience of the Indian Parliament.