The famous director of Hindi and Tamil films, Mani Ratnam was born on 2 June 1956 in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India. Mani Ratnam made his first film Pallavi Anu Pallavi in the year 1983, in which actor Anil Kapoor played the lead role. So far he has directed hundreds of films in his life, Mani Ratnam is a known face for direction in South Indian films and Bollywood films.
Mani Ratnam’s father’s name was Yes Gopal Ratnam, and mother’s name is not known, he married National Award winner Suhasini in the year 1988. Mani Ratnam became a father in the year 1991, his son’s name is Nandan.
Mani Ratnam Biography
Mani Ratnam has received National Award and Padma Shri Award 6 times so far in his life work. Mani Ratnam has made superhit films like Roja Bombay, Guru, Dil Se and Saathiyan.
- Full Name – Gopala Ratnam Subramaniam
- Present Name – Mani Ratnam
- Profession – Film director, screenwriter, and producer
- Born – 2 June 1956
- Place of Birth – Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Father’s Name- S Gopal Ratnam
- Brothers – G. Venkateswaran, G. Srinivasan, Sethu Sriram
- Sister – Sharda Ratnam
- First Debut Film – Kannada (Pallavi Anu Pallavi 1983)
- Wife’s Name – Suhasini Mani Ratnam
- Marriage – 1988
- Son – Nandan
- Net Worth – $18.3 million USD
- Present Address – Alwarpet, Chennai
- Hometown – Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Hobby – Reading and Writing
- Car Collection – BMW and Mercedes Benz
- Mani Ratnam charges 5 to 6 crores for directing a movie.
Mani Ratnam Education
Mani Ratnam did his early education from a school near his home, later he studied at a school a short distance away from his village, then Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, University of Madras and Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai. Studied MBA, after that started working in the world of films by directing and started giving more than one hit films to the industry, even today he is active in this work.
Mani RatnamFavorite Things
- Mani Ratnam loves South Indian food.
- Rajnikant, Amitabh Bachchan, Kamal Hasan and Anil Kapoor are his favorite heroes.
- Suhasini, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Tabu and Manisha Koirala are his favorite heroines.
- In Bollywood, he likes films like Roja, Dil Se, Bombay and Guru.
- In Hollywood, they like Memento, Dark Knight and Inception movies.
- Ilaiyaraaja and A.R. Rahman is his favorite musician.
Mani Ratnam Career
Mani Ratnam started his career as a film assistant, working in this position for a few years, he learned and learned about how films are directed, and after that, he also made up his mind that now I should also make films. Directed by Khud Karu, he then started his career in the year 1983 with the Kannada film “Pallavi Anu Pallavi”, in which Anil Kapoor acted as the hero.
Mani Ratnam’s first film did good business, the film was a hit, and he also got many awards for this film, after that, he started playing the role of director in Hindi films and gave many hit films. The way he is famous in South India, and he is also known as a famous director in Bollywood.
Mani Ratnam Movies List
- Idaya Kovil (1985)
- Mouna Ragam (1986)
- Nayakan (1987)
- Dayavan (1988)
- Geethanjali (1989)
- Anjali (1990)
- Thalapathi (1991)
- Roja (1992)
- Iruvar (1997)
- Dil Se (1998)
- Chandrodaya (1999)
- Tajmahal (1999)
- Yaad Rakhegi Duniya (1992)
- Indira (1995)
- Dasarathan (1993)
- Kasak (1992)
- Saathiya (2002)
- Annavru (2003)
- Guru (2007)
- Raavan (2010)
- Raavanan (2010)
- Chekka Chivantha Vaanam (2018)
- Ponniyin Selvan
Some interesting information related to Mani Ratnam
- Two of his films ‘Anjali’ & ‘Nayagan’ also went to the Oscars.
- He has received many awards and honors during his lifetime.
- Mani Ratnam and A. AR Rahman have been working together for almost 25 years.
- Mani Ratnam currently lives in Mumbai, he also visits South India from time to time.
- Mani Ratnam, who stepped into the world of Tamil cinema, directed many films from South India to Bollywood, and even today he is active in the world of films.