Justice DY Chandrachud Latest News
Chief Justice of India Uday Umesh Lalit has sent the name of Justice Dhananjay Yashwant Chandrachud to the central government as his successor. He handed over a letter to Justice DY Chandrachud, naming him as the next Chief Justice. The letter was handed over in the presence of other judges of the Supreme Court. India will get its 50th Chief Justice on the retirement of Justice Uday Umesh Lalit. Justice Uday Umesh Lalit will retire on 8 November and DY Chandrachud will take oath as Chief Justice on 9 November. And will retire on 10 November 2024.
Justice DY Chandrachud Biography
- Name – Justice DY Chandrachud
- Full Name – Justice Dhananjay Yashwant Chandrachud
- Date of birth – 11 November 1959
- Place of Birth – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Age – 63 Years (2022)
- Religion – Hinduism
- Profession – Advocate
- Current Position – 50th Chief Justice of India
- Right to abortion for unmarried women,
- decriminalizing homosexuality,
- right to privacy
- LLB, Master in Law, and Doctorate in Forensic Science
- School Cathedral and John Connon School, Mumbai
- Columbia School, Delhi
- College St. Stephen’s College, Delhi
- University Delhi University, Harvard University
Nationality – Indian
Zodiac Sign – Sagittarius
Languages – English, Hindi, Marathi
About Justice DY Chandrachud
The full name of Justice DY Chandrachud is Dhananjay Yashwant Chandrachud, he hails from Mumbai, Maharashtra. Received LLB from Delhi University, LLM, and Doctorate degree from Harvard University. Enrolled as an Advocate in the Bombay High Court in the year 1998. Practiced as an Advocate in the High Court of Calcutta, Gujarat, Allahabad, Delhi, and Madhya Pradesh. Worked as the Additional Solicitor General of India from the year 1998 to the year 2000. He has worked in the Bombay High Court and Allahabad High Court and became a judge of the Supreme Court in May 2016. He has taken many important decisions and has been a judge in the bench of hearing related to Aadhar, Homosexuality, Sabarimala, and Ayodhya. And on 9 November 2022, the 50th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court was made.
Justice DY Chandrachud Family Information
- Father’s Name – Late YV Chandrachud
- Mother’s Name – Prabha Chandrachud
- Wife Name – Kalpana Das
- Children – 2 sons
- Names of sons – Abhinav Chandrachud and Chintan Chandrachud
Justice DY Chandrachud Career
- Justice DY Chandrachud worked as a junior advocate assisting lawyers and judges for some time during his studies at Delhi University in 1982.
- After graduating from Harvard University, Chandrachud first worked briefly at the American law firm Sullivan & Cromwell.
- After returning to India from America, he started practicing in the Supreme Court and Bombay High Court. and nominated as a Senior Advocate by the Bombay High Court in June 1998. And in the same year, he was appointed as an Additional Solicitor General of India.
- He became a judge in the Bombay High Court from March 2000 until his appointment as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court and during this time he was also the director of the Maharashtra Judicial Academy.
- From October 2013 until his nomination to the Supreme Court in May 2016, he served as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court. and joined the Collegium of the Supreme Court of India on April 2021, a body composed of the five most senior judges of the Supreme Court of India.
- He is the executive chairman of the National Legal Services Authority and will take oath as the 50th Chief Justice of India on 9 November 2022.
- In addition, DY Chandrachud also served as a guest professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Law and Mumbai University in the US. and has lectured at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa, the Australian National University, Deakin University, Melbourne Law School, Harvard Law School, Yale Law School and the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii.
Important Decisions of Justice DY Chandrachud
- Justice DY Chandrachud came into the limelight in 2017-2018 for overturning two judgments given by his father YV Chandrachud. When he overturned the decision of Shivkant Shukla and Adultery Law Vs Additional District Magistrate Jabalpur. Reversing this decision, the bench said that the adultery law is a codified rule of patriarchy. Sexual autonomy should be valued. Justice DY Chandrachud was also included in this batch.
- In a petition seeking an abortion by a 25-year-old unmarried woman, a bench of Justice DY Chandrachud, Justice AS Bopanna, and Justice JB Pardiwala delivered a landmark judgment upholding the reproductive autonomy rights of an unmarried woman. Justice Chandrachud said the rights to reproductive autonomy, dignity, and privacy give an unmarried woman the right to choose whether she can or cannot give birth to a child similar to that of a married woman.
- In August 2017, a nine-judge bench gave a unanimous verdict guaranteeing the fundamental right to privacy. Justice Chandrachud recognized the right to privacy and dignity as an intrinsic part of life.
- The five-judge bench upheld the right of menstruating women to visit the temple. Justice DY Chandrachud held that the deprivation of women in the age group of 10 to 50 years by the Sabarimala temple was contrary to constitutional morality and undermines the ideals of autonomy, liberty, and dignity. And such stigma is not constitutionally supported.
- On August 28, the twin tower in Noida was demolished, and the Supreme Court ordered its demolition, Justice DY Chandrachud was also involved in this decision.
Justice DY Chandrachud Retirement
Justice DY Chandrachud took oath as the Chief Justice of India on 9 November 2022 and his term will last till November 2024.