Asha Bhosle is an Indian playback singer and a vocalist. She has been a playback singer in movies for nearly 6 decades, an accomplishment that marked her entry into the Guinness Book of World Records for recording the highest number of songs in music history. Asha has recorded over 12,000 songs in 20 different languages.
Asha Bhosle Biography/Wiki
Name: Asha Mangeshkar
Age: 89 years
Occupation: Playback Singer, Vocalist, Restaurateur
Birth: September 8, 1933
Place of Birth: Sangli, Maharashtra
Parents: Dinanath Mangeshkar (Father) and Shevanti Mangeshkar (Mother)
Spouse: Ganpatrao Bhosle (1949-1960), Rahul Dev Burman (1980-1994)
Children: Hemant Bhosle, Varsha Bhosle, Anand Bhosle
Beginning of Playback Career: 1943
Net Worth (approx): 40 million
Asha Bhosle Biography: Early Life, Family, and Education
Asha was born on 8th September 1933 (age 89 years; as in 2022) in Sangli, Maharashtra, British India. She was trained in classical music along with her sister, Lata Mangeshkar, by their father Deenanath Mangeshkar. She was very close to her sister, Lata Mangeshkar, in childhood. Lata took her along wherever she would go; she even carried Asha to her school. Asha was just nine-year-old when her father passed away. It was a tough time for the family. She took up acting and singing along with her sister, Lata Mangeshkar, to support her family. They moved from Pune to Mumbai on the insistence of a family friend, Master Vinayak.
In 1943, when Asha was just 10-year-old, she got a chance to sing “Chala Chala Nav Bala” for the Marathi film, ‘Manjha Bal.’ At the age of 16, she eloped with 31-year-old Ganpat Rao Bhosle and married him.
Asha is around 5’ 2” tall and weighs around 64 kg. She has black eyes and black hair.
Family, Caste & Husband
Asha was born into a Gomantak Marathi Brahmin Family. Her father, Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar, was a stage actor and a classical singer. Her mother, Shevanti Mangeshkar, was the second wife of her father.
Awards & Honours
- Asha has received the Filmfare Best Female Playback Awards for “Garibon ki Suno” (1968), “Parde Mein Rehne Do” (1969), “Piya Tu Ab To Aaja” (1972), “Dum Maro Dum” (1973), “Chain Se Humko Kabhi” (1975), and “Yeh Mera Dil” (1979).
- She won the National Film Awards for “Dil Kya Cheez Hai from Umrao Jaan” (1981) and “Mera Kuch Samaan from Ijaazat” (1986).
- In 1996, she received a Special Award for “Rangeela.
- In 2001, Asha was felicitated with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award.
- In 2002, she won the IIFA Award for “Radha Kaise Na Jale” from the film, Lagaan
- Asha was honored with Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2001, and Padma Vibhushan in 2008 by the Government of India.
Asha has a net worth of around $10 million (as in 2016).
Tags: Asha Bhosle Biography, Asha Bhosle Age, Asha Bhosle Family, Asha Bhosle Education, Asha Bhosle Singing Career, Asha Bhosle Net Worth, Asha Bhosle Awards and Honours, Asha Bhosle children, Asha Bhosle husband