Arun Jaitley (Born 28 December 1952 and Died on 24th 2019) is an Indian politician and attorney, who was the Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of the Government of India from 2014 to 2019. A member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Jaitley previously held the cabinet portfolios of Finance, Defence, Corporate Affairs, Commerce and Industry and Law and Justice in the Vajpayee government and Narendra Modi government. From 2009 to 2014 he served as the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha. He is a Senior Advocate of the Supreme Court of India. Arun Jaitley decided not to join the Modi Cabinet in 2019 due to health issues.
Arun Jaitley was born to a family of lawyers, social activists, and philanthropists. His father, Maharaj Kishen Jaitley, was also a lawyer and they as a family resided in Naraina Vihar, New Delhi. His mother, Ratan Prabha, was a housewife and a social activist at the same time. Since childhood, Arun Jaitley had a great amount of interest in law and politics, and his victory in the election as the President of the Delhi University Students’ Union marked the beginning of his political career. He was influenced by the activities of the Janata Party and joined the movement against corruption then led by the Janata Party to create awareness among the general public about the misgovernance and corruption by high officials. He was appointed as the Convener of the Coordination Committee of the youth and student organization.
Arun Jaitley Education
Arun Jaitley did his schooling from the St. Xavier’s School (1957-69). He was very passionate about studies, debates, and sports such as cricket. He is a graduate from the Shree Ram College of Commerce and was an active debater and President of the student union of the college. Later, he did LL.B. from the University of Delhi (1973-77).
Arun Jaitley is married to Sangeeta Jaitley, who is the daughter of Giridhar Lal Dogra and Shakuntala Dogra, and has two children, Sonali Jaitley & Rohan Jaitley, and both are lawyers.
Arun Jaitley Political Journey
• In 1977, he joined Jan Sangh.
• In 1977, All India Secretary of the ABVP & President of the Delhi ABVP.
• In 1980, he became President of the Youth Wing of the BJP.
• He has been a member of the national executive of BJP since 1991.
• In 1999, he became the spokesperson of BJP.
• On 13 October 1999, he became the Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting (Independent Charge) in the Atal Bihari Vajpayeegovernment.
• Following the resignation of Ram Jethmalani he was given the extra charge of Ministry of Law, Justice & Company affairs.
• In November 2000, he became a cabinet minister- Minister of Law, Justice and Company Affairs & Shipping.
• On 1 July 2002, he became General Secretary of the BJP & its National Spokesperson.
• On 29 January 2003, he was appointed as the Minister of Law and Justice & Commerce and Industry.
• On 3 June 2009, he was chosen as the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha.
• In the 2014 general election, he contested form the Amritsar Lok Sabha seat and lost to Amarinder Singh (INC candidate).
• On 26 May 2014, he was appointed Minister of Finance and Minister of Defence in the cabinet of the Narendra Modi government.
• In May 2019, he wrote a letter to the Prime Minister Narendra Modi requesting him that he could not be in the new government; citing his health reasons.
￼Physical Stats & More
Height (approx.)in centimeters- 170 cm
in meters- 1.70 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 7”
Weight (approx.)in Kilograms- 65 kg in Pounds- 143 lbs
Eye Colour Black
Hair ColourBlack (semi-bald)
Arun Jaitley Personal Life
Date of Birth: 28 December 1952
Age (as in 2019): 66 Years
Birthplace: New Delhi, India
Zodiac sign: Capricorn
Hometown: New Delhi, India
Schools: Xavier’s School, New Delhi
College/University: Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi The University of Delhi
Educational Qualifications: Graduated in Commerce from Shri Ram College of Commerce, New Delhi
Law degree from the University of Delhi
Arun Jaitley Family
Father– Maharaj Kishen Jaitley (lawyer)
Mother– Ratan Prabha Jaitley (social activist)
Sister– Madhu Bhargava
Arun Jaitley Children’s
Arun Jaitley Net Worth (approx.)
Rs. 113 Crore (as in 2014)
ALSO READ THIS TAG
Whether 'Zee News' or 'The Hindu', they never have to worry about funds. In name of saving democracy, they get money from various sources. We need your support to run this website. Please contribute whatever amount you can afford.